Your girl has been a little quiet on the blog front, but it is all for good reason. If you have been following my adventures on Instagram, you would have seen that I have been traveling a lot more, maintaining my fitness, and pouring up dranks. For the past few years, I have been testing out Cas Rum Beverages, a line of bottled rum cocktails with Belizean flair. My goal in creating these beverages has been to share it with the community, and in doing so, share my Belizean heritage with each glass.
For the past month, I started taking the Wukkout community class at the Athleta flagship store on 5th Ave. Founded by Krista Martins, a dancer and choreographer of Guyanese descent, Wukkout is a Caribbean dance fitness class led by soca tunes to have you feel like you are “pon di road” (aka marching on the road for Carnival). I really love the energy of class and immediately thought it would be great to collaborate on an event with Krista, and HERE WE ARE!
To kick off Women’s History Month, Wukkout is holding a special class and shopping party, with ya girl providing delicious rum punch to chill out after class, and encourage purchasing of lovely fitness apparel from Athleta. You may RSVP here. Class spots may already be gone, but you can definitely slide through for the shopping party and fashion show!
Fri, March 9, 2018, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM EST
And if all that wasn’t enough, and you can’t make it, all friends of Wukkout receive 25% off their purchase at Athleta.
See you there!
There is never an excuse to be out of shape whilst living in NYC during the summertime as there are a plethora of free or low cost fitness classes or sessions throughout the season. Returning for its 13th season is the ever popular, Bryant Park Yoga. The flagship series presented by Athleta and taught by Yoga Journal instructors, holds free yoga sessions on the lawn on Tuesday mornings and Thursday evenings, now fully in session!
There are great perks for frequent yogis. When you attend your first session, you receive a Frequent Yogi Card, which is used as a loyalty card of sorts to make tabs of every session you attend. Guests who attend 6, 12, 24, or 36 times receive exclusive coupons and discounts from both Athleta and Yoga Journal.
Check out the full summer schedule on Eventbrite, and I hope to see you on the mat!
*Photo courtesy of Bryant Park
Each summer, one of my favorite places in New York City, Bryant Park, holds a comprehensive arts & culture event series. The season kicks off tonight with a waltz ball, in addition to dance, music, yoga, and the HBO Summer Film Series programming continuing throughout the course of the summer. I’ve included the FULL calendar of the series beneath the appropriate photo. All of these events are absolutely FREE, so feel free to bring a friend, family member, partner, or future lover. 🙂
Dance, Courtesy of Bryant Park Corporation
Dance lessons will be held from 6–7pm, followed by dancing to live music:
• Opening Night Waltz Ball, Wednesday, May 6:
– 6–7pm: Dance lessons by Randy Dias and Alexandra Lyubchevskaya
– 7–8:30pm: Dancing and live music by Lester Lanin Orchestra, which has played for audiences around the world for 50 years—most notably at the wedding of Prince Charles and Princess Diana
• Cuban Salsa, Wednesday, May 13:
– 6–7pm: Dance lessons by Yesenia Selier and Hunter Houde
– 7–8:30pm: Dancing and live Cuban music by Gerardo Contino y Los Habaneros
• Swing and Lindy Hop, Wednesday, May 20:
– 6–7pm: Dance lessons by Evita Arce and Michael Jagger
– 7–8:30pm: Dancing and live swing music by George Gee Swing
• Samba e Mais, Wednesday, May 27:
– 6–7pm: Dance lessons by Marizete Browne and Daniele Andrade
– 7–8:30pm: Dancing and live music by Mistura Perfeita Band, which will play traditional and contemporary Brazilian samba and bossanova
• Tango, Wednesday, June 3:
– 6–7pm: Dance lessons by Mariana Parma and Hernan Brizuela
– 7–8:30pm: Dancing and live music by The NY Tango Quartet, which will perform classics and improvisations
• Bachata, Wednesday, June 10:
– 6–7pm: Dance lessons by Alejandro Bouza and Talia Castro-Pozo
– 7–8:30pm: Dancing and live music by Bachata Heightz, an original pioneer of urban bachata
• West Coast Swing, Wednesday, June 17:
– 6–7pm: Dance lessons by Marlon Mills and Chrissy Bridgeman
– 7–8:30pm: Dancing and live music by Rakiem Walker Project, a seven-piece band featuring soul, funk, R&B, gospel and blues
• Latin Dancing Festival, Wednesday, June 24:
– 5–6:30pm: Latin jazz dance lessons by Sekou McMiller and a live performance by Grammy award-wining bassist John Benitez
– 6:30–7:15pm: Mambo dance lessons by Frank Muhel and Ericka Fignole
– 7:15–8:15pm: Dancing and live music by 50’s and 60’s era mambo band, Palladium All Stars
– 8:15–9pm: Salsa dance lessons by Talia Castro-Pozo and a special guest
– 9–10pm: Dancing and live music by salsa dura band Avenida B
WHERE: Fountain Terrace at Bryant Park, which is between 40th and 42nd Streets on the Sixth Avenue side of the park.
Yoga, Courtesy of Bryant Park Corporation
- Bryant Park Yoga, starting on Tuesday, May 19 at 10am: This flagship series— presented by Athleta with support from Yoga Journal and Flavorpill—will be returning for its 12th season. (Tuesdays at 10am and Thursdays at 6pm through September 24.)