Clydesdale Erotic @ClydesdaleXXX
- Full band based in Brooklyn with an experimental sound
- Covered “Love Stoned/I Think That She Knows” by Justin Timberlake; really good!
- Synthesizer added lots of dimension to set, great bassist! Kind of psychedelic yet bluesy with great vocal harmonies
- Syncopated rhythms, reminiscent of MGMT at times…jam bandish?
- Set time approx 20 min, experimental sounds, electro synths mixed with drums
Sophia Urista @sophiaurista
- Soulful songstress hailing from Detroit, MI
- Sound very reminiscent of Betty Davis; powerful vocals with underlying rock edginess
- Performed Betty Davis covers in a shorter set time than usual
- Each moment, especially when she sang “I’m a Woman”, struck a chord, as she represents such a strong, female musician
Katrina Bello @KBello
- R&B singer from the DMV (DC/Maryland/Virginia) area, quite soulful
- Performed a cover of “Lights Please” by J.Cole, interesting rendition with a self assure attitude
- Mashup/cover of “Everything I Am” by Kanye West, accompanied by Bianca Raquel; great chemistry!
- Original song “Lovedrug”had a very seductive sound, a la “Sexual Seduction” by Snoop Dogg: I dig it!
Bianca Raquel @THEBiancaRaquel
- Singer/songwriter/producer from the NYC area
- Played the keys throughout her entire performance
- Soulful R&B sound with some jazzy undertones
- Covered “Ni**as in Paris” with Katrina Bello and “Flashing Lights” solo
- Original track entitled the “F*CK IT song”, empowering yet funny at times because it was all so real; I could definitely relate
Charly & Margaux @lacedisfree
- Violist + Violinist from Boston
- Performed originals from “Laced”, which is to be released soon
- “Sunset”, more jazzy vibe, with hip hop undertones
- “Conquistador”, chill R&B vibe, with hip hop influence, some sample usage
Steeve Sam @SteeveSamDreams
- Very soulful soulful singer a la Bilal, Neo soul would be the mot accurate description
- Crazy falsetto, what?!
- Performed originals, including the track “Liar Liar”
- Improv/freestyle towards the end of his set with live sampling via drum machine
De Lor @DeLorJadore
- Pop/R&B singer based in Boston, first show in NYC
- Accompanied by full band called “Elevation Theory”
- First EP out now, “J-adore”
- Key songs: “Where Is the life in You?” done a capella and “Cruel”, happier tune, bouncy, power ballad
I had a great time at this edition of DOPE as I see so much great talent, with very well thought our sets. The crowd is growing and are very supportive of the acts, which is great to see in this cutthroat world known as the Music Industry. The next show is coming up on December 6th. Be sure to follow @alifeinthedayof on Twitter for all updates!